New members should be moderated
New members should not be moderated
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Member Notice Discussion
03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Re: New Member Notice Discussion
My 2 cents worth...I have been active on this forum since the begining. Currently not so much as my Syncro is always just bust! But i must say as soon as I see possible "rules" coming in or "minimum standards" i want to run a mile!

In terms of losing business opportunities through too much information dissemination, I doubt that happens. Look at the IT industry where much is for free because they know that clients come eventually from that. In my business i stay in contact with people sometimes for 2 or 3 years before they buy anything from me. If I didnt stay in touch though they never would. And yes, sometimes some people just take, but most will become good clients eventually as ultimatley all of this is about a relationship.

I reckon the forum enhances business opportunities particularly because Stuart and others are filling a great need that dealerships etc no longer do. I may end up with my Syncro gone soon and still i would hope to be "allowed" to peruse this forum as I love these vehicles dearly.

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
sounds good

syncros-the best vehicle ever built!!!
03-28-2012, 08:39 PM
hi guys i also just read most of the time on this forum. i own a 69 kombi which i am about to start restoring. i been interested in syncro s since a young school boy, cutting out ads(david kramer) for syncros etc. i dont own a syncro yet but am going to when the right one comes along.(busy saving).i have really broaden my knowledge on syncros since i joined this forum. to tell you the honest truth when i joined this forum i didnt even know how the syncros drive system worked.i am not so mechanically minded on syncros as other members therefore i only read the posts. so please dont kick me off before i get my syncro!i feel i can talk once the syncro is in my driveway. thats the way i feel thanks guys.
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
New Member Notice Discussion
Ok I think I'm giving you guys the wrong message.
We will never delete members that log on and chat and lurk, but we are just tightening things up so we don't have issues with people stealing license plates and pictures and personal info.
New members will be moderated and hardly questioned why they want to join and we will always encourage new members

This is a serious forum we have here and what is the help of one of the moderators banning a naughty member if they can just make a new account ?

Please don't stress guys this is just a small change which existing members wont even notice, although it is nice to hear from a few new people Smile

I think if people are saying they can't contribute to the forum, that is not true as the simplest of questions will help new members understand things some of us take for granted as well as maybe let some of the more technical guys think about their syncro's in a new way

Nothing I have done is set in stone, that's why I created this thread to discuss it

We can make changes to make this site the best of its kind, and I will consider all advice from this thread

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Sjoe! I haven't seen this much hostilety in such a short time on any forum. I'm simply very shy, can only type with one finger at a time, and use (abuse!) English very rarely. I would rather read forums about something I like than watch SABC (or DSTV, for that matter). Please give us quiet outjies a gap. 'n Stil bek is 'n heel bek! Big Grin
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi Fielies

this is not hostility, it is a discussion to see how people feel about blocking certain area's of the forum to non participating members, the actual idea is to get a little more participation from the members and it seems to be working.

we would like every one just to introduce themselves so we know a little about them, and then ask questions, no matter how trivial.

i had a potential syncro owner here with me on wed, he is on the forum but still was amazed at the syncro's off road ability and we never even did any serious off roading just a casual test.

we know and understand that there are people out there that do not have a lot of knowledge about the syncro and we will help where we can, ask and we will do our best to answer, we just want participation. that is all.

Just to give you an idea, of the 516 current members only 166 have made a post, some have plenty but 350 have not posted at all, not even introduced them selves, we have on average about 50 users on line everyday with approx 115 hits a day

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
03-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I think the discussion has been good and the motivation for these ideas also seems to be positive, but if you read through all the replies you will realise that there are many different types of people that use forums in different ways. It's neither good nor bad, just different to the way you do. The usage and participation stats for this forum are the same for 99% of other forums. For some people it's part of their social life, others have questions, and others just want to read. There is nothing wrong with that and there is basically nothing you can do to change that. It's like walking into a bar and expecting everyone to want to talk with you. It's not going to happen however much you may want it, and it is the type of thing that drives people away. I don't know if this is a good example, but what if you were to pop in and visit a local church occasionaly and after a few visits they started putting pressure on you to become "more actively involved!" It's just not going to work. In time you may or may not decide to do that but it will only happen if it is your decision. People should just be comfortable to be here and participate or not in whatever way they want.

I hope this doesn't come across as just being negative. We are all thankful and grateful to you guys that put in the work to keep this forum operating and it is good to always be looking for ways to improve things.

Ian
03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Ian, it is a hard point that is the reason for discussing it, but is it too much to ask every one to introduce themselves, surely that is not hard, even for some who types with 1 finger like i do.

I have seen forums where the moderators delete posts if you have not introduced yourself, that is also not good, but was part of the sign on "agreement", on that particular forum.

and why don't people talk to You in a bar, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't go to those kind of bars! :lol:
03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Been away for a few days. Kids passports and wife's visas etc. Another story.
In my post earlier i should have said active members are those that post or read not post and read.
As to businesses : Forums can be good and/or bad for them. This depends on many different things. I have seen some that have had virtual witch hunts on them by
groups of people that just feel like it. And on others businesses promoted as the be all and end all of a market but in reality are a sham.
So far the thing that to me has set this site aside from most other VW sites is that there is no contest on who has the biggest manhood.
There will be a point were a member or more will cause dislike from others or conflict with others.{ this is always very very %} This is inevitable on any website with so many different personalities involved. Hope fully we will all rise above this when it occurs.
I do agree with Stuart that it isnt asking much for people to introduce themselves.
I also type with one finger :lol:
Russel