Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tire Specs & Options
05-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Tire Specs & Options
Side wall height is an important consideration in selecting tires. Tires to be used off road should have a high profile, or tall side wall. VW specifies 80 series tires for the syncro this reason (e.g., 185R14 or 205R16). The taller the side wall, the more cushion the tire provides to absorb bumps and rocks, and the less likely the wheel is to be damaged. VW does, however, specify a 65 series tire (205/65/15) for the 15" wheels that come on the South African T-3 (Microbus), but this appears to be due to gearing considerations. Extra caution should be used with 65 series tires in rugged off road terrain.

Tire width is also an important consideration. VW specifies 185 - 205 mm widths for the syncro. There is a reason for this. First, wider tires are heavier. This increased mass affects suspension and steeriing. It also affects acceleration. A heavier tire/wheel combo will tax the damping of the shocks and degrade suspensipon performance. It will also tax the steering system (including steering rack bushings) and put added stress on all of the components, even the CV joints and the transaxle.

Secondly, in most situations, narrow tires will provide better traction and surer footing than wider tires. Big, fat tires may look cool, but a syncro with narrower tires (e.g., 195mm) will nearly always out-perform one with wider tires (e.g., 225mm), not only in terms of traction and sure-footedness, but also in suspension performance and acceleration. For these reasons, the stock tire width specs should not be carelessly discarded. There will be a trade off in performance proportional to the extent one wanders from those specs.

Tire pressure has a big effect on tire performance, suspension and handling. VW specifies that the rear tires have higher pressure than the front tires by several pounds (see your door jam or owners manual for details). You can fine tune steering by adjusting this differential. It is well worth the little time it takes to try different tire pressures to see how they affect handling. Tires for the syncro require 40 p.s.i. pressure capability. Several of the tires availablke for the syncro will take up to 65 p.s.i. There is no one air pressure good for all vehicles at all times, so none will be offered here. However, for off road use (and driving in snow), airing down greatly increases traction and provides a softer ride. In sand, it is not uncommon to go down to 10 p.s.i., but the tire can come off the rim if pressure is too low. Higher pressures should be used in rocky terrain.

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Re: Tire Specs & Options
Hi

I am new to this market and am unashameably tapping your brains.

I have reached a stage of my life where I want things to work and am willing to pay for it.!

I am sure that a basic tool for the syncro is an accurate tyre guage as well as a compressor.What do i need and what can I discard?(lots of specials on various compressors...I do not intend running a Speedy franchise,but need advice on make/model/capacity as far as abovementioned is concerned.

I bought Gedore toolkit 20 years ago and still have it.You get my drift?

Hans
Find all posts by this user
06-27-2011, 07:53 PM
From personal experience you really dont need to adjust tire pressure too much on a 15" wheel syncro
We drove Mozambique, and syncromad is a witness, with over 2 bar pressure through some serious beach sand without any issues
I also seldom drop pressure when i go play in the quarry's
Id recomend you buy a cheap pressure gauge as they are easily misplaced in the excitement of going offroad
When it comes to pumps i cant say I know enough about them
Hope that helps a bit

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
06-27-2011, 08:17 PM
hi Hans

I agree with Dean, cheap gauge as they do get lost. approx R50 at midas etc, i have probably lost 5 or 6 already, i bought 4 the other day from midas,

as for a pump, a while ago one of the 4x4 magazines did a pump shoot out, from expensive R 4500-00 plus to R500 cheapies.

the pump that did best overall was a cheapy called a Volcano, I know midas did stock them at one time. They were approx R 700-800 . i also have seen that they did a double compressor head version so that would be still better, i have one and it is bullet proof and really effective. had ine for about 5 years now with no hassles, just always put the filter on to stop sand getting in the compressor.

but remember it will not seat a tyre that is off a rim.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
09-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Hello!

I plan on putting Honda CR-V 16"X6.5 steel wheels on my syncro with some custom made adapters.
The offset is 53,but with the spacers,it will be brought to a perfect ET30.Also,thanks to the deep rim,my 4 pistons Jaguar calipers will fit perfectly on the front.
I'll add weldings to reinforce the original welds and somespots that are simply not welded.

The tires will be BF Goodrich All Terrain 215/70 R16,what do you people tink about that size?
I know the tires are excellent,and they are slightly bigger than the 14" tires,so I won't have issues.

Thank you :-)
04-22-2014, 08:39 AM
RE: Tire Specs & Options
Good morning guys,
I'm a new member to the forum and would really appreciate some advice.
I recently bought a T4 2.5tdi with rear difflock and took it to the beach over the past long weekend. I got stuck badly and had to be salvaged by a towing company. (for interest sake, the T4 doesn,'t get fuel if standing at a slight gradiant towards the front/left even with just below half tank).
I have the 205/65/15 standard wheels on it. Due to the deep tracks I couldn't deflate to 0.8bar that I'm used to with my previous double cab (from this forum discussion maybe a blessing in disguise, I've witnessed a syncro loosing a tyre in Moz as a result of to low tyre pressure).
I have a trip planned in June to Moz with 6 adults in the vehicle + a lot of luggage and doesn't fell comfortable.
Should I invest in bigger tyres, ie. 205/80/15 so that I maintain the ground clearance but with a longer footprint? Will this require a suspension lift/mod? Do you know who can do this?
May I please have your advice?
Greetings
Gert
04-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Tire Specs & Options
Bigger tire would help yes and maybe a lift kit.
Rather deflate to 0.8 anyways... Just install some nice belly plates as well because the T4 has vulnerable items low in the belly....

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
05-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I have this bookmark on my desktop, check it out if you think about another set of rims for your bus.

WHEEL FITMENT, on the home screen, choose search by car make, then click on Transporter T3 (1979 - 1990) en whalla, all cars with same pcd. Now see the offset of the Transporter T3 as 25 and search for something close (W107 & W126 Merc etc).

BENNIE BEZUIDENHOUT
"Be slow in choosing a friend, even slower when changing" Benjamin Franklin
05-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Gert for bigger tyres on a T4 it needs a suspension raise, best size i have seen is 215/75R15, have seen 215/80R15 on a few but the tyres do touch the body, from what i know the Stiud pattern is 5x112 and et49, so et 45 will work

I did send you a pm about rims,

Stuart
083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
07-15-2014, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2014 10:52 AM by EcLiPsE.)
Tire Specs & Options
What was the standard size tire originally released on Syncro busses?

Im trying to calculate percentages in the difference of tire options

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!