Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best alternative to BF
05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Re: Best alternative to BF
Russel Wrote:You can get them here but the price i was quoted is twice wot i was paying in the UK for them. And i am definitely not paying that for a tire.
Russel

Welcome to the new SA. Hope you brought your tub of Vaseline from the UK because your gonna get screwed when you buy that here as well.:-)

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
There are a lot of mixed reports on the 4x4 forums at the moment in regard to the BFG's in any case. The BFG fans blame "bad batches" but that really shouldn't be happening. Also lots of reports of debeading at lower pressures. The Conti's seem to be prone to punctures and sidewall damage. The Kumho KL78 and Hankook RF10's seem to be getting good reviews as well as the Nankang FT 7's and Yokohama Geolandars. I just changed a set of Geolandars after 80 000km. Was happy with them. Good handling all round and no punctures or damage. Now fitted Firestone Destinations. Not as aggresive looking as the BFG's but handle everything at least as well as the Geolandars and definitely better handling on tar. As far as the muds go I can't comment but lots of people seem happy with the Maxxis Bighorns. They were on the top of my list before I decided to stick with A/T's.

Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Hi guys,

Anybody got some experience on the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 all terrain tyres? TWT has a special on a at the moment, R1050/tyre for 215/80R15. I was going to put the Bridgestone Duellers on the BosBus but they are now retailing in the region of R2000/tyre. Decided to go with 215/80R15 instead of 235/75/R15 as I think the 235's are heavier and have more resistance/strain on the drive train. Being a 2.1L wasserboxer I also think the 235's might have a more significant influence of the power? Any input will be appreciated. The Hankooks seem to be getting a reasonable review on the net and give good mileage.

Thanks,
Frans

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar
05-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Best alternative to BF
Oom Frans
I have the 235/75R15 and im very happy till today, there is only a 1.15% difference in diameter between 235/75 and 215/80 R15.
The main difference is the footprint and that could give a little more resistance but is really a big + when driving ons sand.

I have gone down to 0.3bar in a "sandy" situation and even done a few obstacles thereafter without de-beading the tires from the rims(I actually forgot about how low I made the pressures)

I must say that from my 215/75R15 BFG All Terrain to the 235/75R15 Westlakes there is not a major difference in power but might affect a stock 2.1 a little because of the power difference compared to the 2.3 Andreno.

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
05-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Good to see the not everything in SA is better than the UK Russel :lol:

jed

CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi Izan,

Thanks for the response. The thing is as well, the "special" is only on the 215/80R15. I don't know what the price difference is on the 235's. Your 2,3 definitely has more power than my stock 2.1. Did you have to cut the lip on the swing arms for the 235's?

Frans

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar
05-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Best alternative to BF
BosBus Wrote:Hi Izan,

Thanks for the response. The thing is as well, the "special" is only on the 215/80R15. I don't know what the price difference is on the 235's. Your 2,3 definitely has more power than my stock 2.1. Did you have to cut the lip on the swing arms for the 235's?

Frans

No cutting, the wheels clear the swing arms but I had to get the wheel alignment redone, left front was fine but right front had to be moved forward if i remember correctly.
I had to "roll" the arches a little to clear the tires.

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
05-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi Russel,
you need to shop around for tyres, mileage(kilometrage)is difficult to ascertain as everyones driving, wheel alignment etc will not be the same. I for instance got 187,000km on a set of Firestone ATX'S. They stopped making them and the new alternative was too expensive. I have now got a set of Dunlop Trakgrips as they were on special. I am now sitting on 247,000km's on the clock and they are a little over 50% worn . The only gripe is punctures I have had six flats all thorns, bar one being a nail.
I have my alignment checked every 20,000Km and keep a check on presssures once a week. Watch out for wheel alignment as a lot of the stores don't even know what a Syncro is!!! My friend had his syncro done and they had used the wrong specs!
I really think that price is the main factor when it comes to tyres as there is very little difference as far as manufacturing is concerned, like they say," a tyre is a tyre!" Wink
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Jed Wrote:Good to see the not everything in SA is better than the UK Russel :lol:

jed

Having to make do without BFG's is a small price to pay! Big Grin
05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
BosBus Wrote:Hi guys,

Anybody got some experience on the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 all terrain tyres? TWT has a special on a at the moment, R1050/tyre for 215/80R15.

Reviews and reports are good on the Hankooks. If the price is right go for it.

Ian