Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best alternative to BF
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Re: Best alternative to BF
I have the Hankooks on my bus. Had them for about 15000k's now and quite happy. Wear seems good and road noise is not noticeable at 120. Haven't done any hardcore off-roading with them yet.

[attachment=1]

[attachment=0]

Attached File(s)
.jpg  pic1.jpg (Size: 134.21 KB / Downloads: 65)
.jpg  pic2.jpg (Size: 136.47 KB / Downloads: 59)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
I agree 100% with Ian there on a small price to pay Jed. It hasent been below nineteen degrees since we got back. Averaging 22 and 26 tomorrow and its late autum Big Grin
There are lots of other brands to choose from.
Thanx to everyone for their input on this thread. I like informed opinions from peoples personal experience.
Russel
05-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Russel Wrote:I agree 100% with Ian there on a small price to pay Jed. It hasent been below nineteen degrees since we got back. Averaging 22 and 26 tomorrow and its late autum Big Grin

Yeh Yeh Yeh, I know :lol:

jed

CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi Ian and Carl, thanks for the reply. Will check with TWT and hopefully getting them fitted this weekend as my 15" rims are FINALLY done and now just gathering dust. Resprayed the faces 3 times before I was sort of happy. Although it has a few small flaws in the paintwork it will have to stay like that. When they get scratched again i won't worry too much about the small flaws. :lol: :lol:

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar
05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Fitted the new refurbished rims and rubber to the BosBus today. Went to TWT in Woodmead this afternoon to put on Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 tyres. They are on special at R1050 + R30 for balancing / tyre. That would have cost R5400 for the five. While there and looking at the Hankook, I asked the rep what else they had. He told me he had Conti WorldContacts at R995/tyre. I asked him to get me one for comparison with the Hankook and to the rep's :oops: :oops: , the store keeper could not find ONE in the store. After the rep consulted his computer again, it turned out to be the Continental CrossContacts. On comparing the two brands face to face, I finally decided to go for the Conti's. I didn't really liked the look of the Hankook's and I think what swayed my view is that the sidewalls on the Conti's felt a lot firmer than the Hankook's. The Conti's also looked like a better construction and there was a visible difference in tread width with the Conti's being a bit wider. The Conti's also have a higher load index of 111/109 compared to the Hankook's 102. Both have a speed rating of S and approx the same depth of tread.

[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]

In the end the whole deal, 5x Continental CrossContact AT's 215/80/R15C tyres, fitted, nitrogen inflated (for life of tyre with free top up or refill after a puncture), new valves, balanced and "X-Sure" insured for 3 years or 50 000km for irreparable damage (percentage wise), the total cost came to R 5729.90. The rep also offered me a discounted wheel alignment at R250 which I will get done on Saturday morning. I checked with the wheel alignment technician on his computerized machine that he has got the right Syncro settings. It is set exactly for my 2.1 and compares with the table that Dean posted earlier. Driving back the All of 3km home, the bus ran straight and very quiet so do not expect any problems with the wheel alignment.

I think all in all this was not a bad deal and doing the swopping between brands on a "gut feel" hope it does not turn into "gyppo guts" :lol: :lol:

So, BosBus is up and running with new feet and serious "takkies".
[attachment=0]

Will get her washed and nicely cleaned up tomorrow at the work's carwash Wink Wink

Frans

Attached File(s)
.jpg  finalrubber.JPG (Size: 2.08 MB / Downloads: 77)
.jpg  conti.JPG (Size: 159.42 KB / Downloads: 77)
.jpg  finalmean.JPG (Size: 203.3 KB / Downloads: 77)

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
05-10-2012, 05:37 AM
nice choice, have those tyres on the 2.5i

bosbus looking lekker

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
05-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Those conti's are nice, the Green Dutch Double cab syncro that was at us a few years ago had a set on and they looked good after a trip down Africa, and they were "made In South Africa" tyres, along with their Howling moon rooftop tent.

Tread pattern is very similar to The bridgstone 894 pattern.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Yes those are nice tyres. I've read of people having problems with sidewall punctures with the WorlContacts but heard nothing bad with the CrossContacts. Tread pattern looks nice too!
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the positive replies guys. Can sleep now again not worrying that it was the wrong choice Big Grin Big Grin

11-11-2014, 08:39 AM
RE: Best alternative to BF
Good day all

I was pondering the other day and wondered if anybody has ever had Firestone ATX on their Syncro. yes its not the best in the wet but damn they are tough and durable.

My Dad always got like 110k + on his Isuzu cab.
errols tyres sell them at R1005 each for 215R15
Just a thought

1989 2.1 SYNCRO
2011 CB1000R

Stuart said "They say in "Namibia" the only problem with a syncro is when it does get stuck nothing else can get there to tow it out"

SYNCROnized OFF-Roading