Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum
New Speedo cable ticking - Printable Version

+- Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum (http://syncrosa.co.za/forum)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: New Speedo cable ticking (/showthread.php?tid=1199)

New Speedo cable ticking - 32wbx6 - 11-10-2012 07:33 PM

I bought a brand new Syncro speedo cable about two years ago, although not VW oe I think as they cant be got anymore?

Finally fitted it today. I know they musn't be bent etc etc and I installed it incredibly carefully and ... it ticks and bounces the speedo arm around. I then gently changed the "tension" on the cable from the cluster through the exit point and down the front and it stopped bouncing but still ticks away and grinds a lot. Is it a good thing to squirt Q20 type stuff down it or does it need more tension tweaking or is it just a bad quality cable? Its worse than my old one was Sad Any tips or suggestions on how to correct it...

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - deanace - 11-10-2012 07:44 PM

Stuart has new genuine ones in stock so i would rather get a brand new one and fit it

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - 32wbx6 - 11-10-2012 07:50 PM

Hi Dean, I actually bought this one from Stuart about 2 years ago, just never fitted yet as all the other work to do first, havent hadnt had a chance to talk to him yet about it and dont want to bug him on a weekend, so thought others on forum may have had suggestions that i can fiddle with tommorrow. Maybe it is genuine then? Ivé changed them before and never had them go wrong, so maybe unlucky bad stock....

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - deanace - 11-10-2012 07:58 PM

I've never had an issue with a speedo cable so can't really say
maybe someone else has more experience with this and can tell us

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - Russel - 11-11-2012 08:38 AM

Did you change the inner and outer part of the cable.If only the inner could you have dirt in it.
Russel

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - 32wbx6 - 11-11-2012 09:26 AM

Hi Russel, no I replaced whole cable as a manufactured unit. Outer sleeve plus fittings and inner already in.

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - 32wbx6 - 11-12-2012 09:53 AM

Ok sorted just about, very slight movement of speedo arm in one area, but not bad at all and noise all stopped. Seems very sensitive to adjusting the lie of the cable and then drove for a longish run and seemed to settle itself in.

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - jon_slider - 12-03-2012 08:05 PM

> Seems very sensitive to adjusting the lie of the cable and then drove for a longish run and seemed to settle

glad you got it sorted

here is some maybe relevant experience

my original stock syncro speedo was working fine, with the exception of the needle bouncing on the pin at very low speed. I did not like the noise when offroading, it was distracting.

I bought a brand new speedo cable from Van-Cafe.com I was told it came from germany.

Upon installation the needle bounced up and down at all speeds up to 45mph, and 150 miles later, the cable snapped. I blamed my tight routing of the cable. But just to be sure, I sent my speedo in for service, they said I needed a new drive cup, or somesuch.. Cost a pretty penny.

I then had Van-Cafe install a new speedo cable. It made the needle bounce up and down like crazy, up to 55mph. I was very unhappy.

After a few hundred miles, the speedo stopped bouncing up and down above 25mph. But I still was unhappy.

I then had Van-Cafe ship a cable to the speedo shop, they put in a different, tighter sleeve. This speedo cable has been rock steady since day one. I am now a happy camper.

observations.. the speedo cables from Germany which are new stock, possibly from a chinese source, have too loose a wind on the cable, and too much play in the sleeve. Over time, the cable winds itself up a bit tighter, and initial speedo needle fluctuations decrease.

I dont know if I needed my speedo rebuilt, what actually solved the problem was not a new cable, nor the speedo rebuild. What solved the problem was a custom sleeve in the speedo cable.

Moral of the story, buying a new speedo cable might not solve a bouncing speedo needle problem unless you also resleeve the cable, and possibly until you also rebuild your speedo.

good luck and Happy Holidays

Re: New Speedo cable ticking - 32wbx6 - 12-04-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks for that Jon, you certainly have been down the Syncro path less travelled :!: Big Grin