Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best route from Pta to Phalaborwa
10-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Re: Best route from Pta to Phalaborwa
Unfortunately it was dry. Maybe next time.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi guys (Izan) I am planning to do the trip From Gun Point to Phalagat in September. How does the road regarding road works look like now?
Stopping/sleeping over in Peiterburg so we can make an early start to Phalagat so a scenic route could be in the offering...
Regards
Reg

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.......in comfort in a syncro!!!
08-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi
Ive been driving the R71 for a while now instead if the "scenic" part.
They have widened the R71 at many places that makes driving with slow traffic a lot better but there are still a lot of stop and goes... It takes me around 90min to drive from Polokwane to Tzaneen on the R71.

There are two reasons why ive not driven the "off-road" option in my last few months visits to Tzaneen.
1. I am curious to see the progress on the R71 and enjoy the widened road a lot.
2. In the winter months its dry and you have less off-road sports ;-) sliding left and right on scenic roads.....

Ill drive the off-road part again on monday, route: R71, University of Limpopo, Houtbosdorp/woodbush, Magoebaskloof, Tzaneen.

If you need more detail on the route, let me know....

If you really have a lot of time on your hands i can give you routes that can keep you busy for more than a day in that area.... All very nice scenic roads with beautiful points of interest like, Debegeni waterfalls, Dokolewa Pools, Picnic spots next to mountain streams and waterfalls, trees reaching almost 100m in plantations and aging 100+ years etc.....

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
08-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Hello
Thanks for the info
We are spending one night in Polokwane then early next mornig to Kruger for a few days. I would like to travel your "scenic route" to Kruger as it sound pretty good. In the furture i want to come spend some time up your way and do some of the routes you showed us in one of your other posts. The route up to Wolkberg looks awesome!!. But for this trip it will just be a short trip. I would apreciate more details on the Houtbos Dorp loop on our way to Phalaborwa.
Regards

08-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I can recommend the scenic route. Have used it about 3 or 4 times now and I love it. With the delays on the other road, it's also quicker. I came back from Phalaborwa one evening in April and wanted to take the scenic route but the co-pilot was stressing so we kept on the tar. What a waste of time with trucks doing 40km/h or less uphills and constant traffic from the oncoming side. Add to that the stops and easily lost 45min to an hour.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
08-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Eish then i will rather want to drive the "scenic" route because will be returning along the same route a week later
Thanks for the heads up
I will check on Google maps if i can find it

08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
So far i have seen that you travel out of Polokwane on the R71 and turn off left towards university of the north, past Masealama school then right at the T junction to Dap Naude dam and carry on to woodbush forest reserve and back to the R71 or carry on to a road signposted as "veekraal" this then would carry on until you get a T junction then left and carry on till you pass Dap Nuade dam on past woodbush forest reserve back to the R71. Which one would be better?

08-29-2013, 05:31 AM
As I said before, there are many options when traveling this Houtbosdorp/Woodbush route..

Attached you will find three options, the first two includes more scenic and the "4x4 only" route as well(A bit more time consuming), this is not a bad road, if you drive carefully with a 2wd bakkie you will be fine, I would not recommend a normal "Plat Kar"...
If you pass here in the summer season and it rained :twisted: Then it might become pretty interesting..
It will also take you a good 30 - 60min longer because you WILL drive slower and might want to stop and take a few more pictures Smile

Attached File(s)
.jpeg  Houtbosdorp Roete 1.jpeg (Size: 404.82 KB / Downloads: 233)
.jpeg  Houtbosdorp Roete 2.jpeg (Size: 405.09 KB / Downloads: 233)

08-29-2013, 05:32 AM
If you are in a hurry, better take the third option:

If you are interested in the Google Earth version of the track, PM me you email and ill mail it to you...

Attached File(s)
.jpeg  Houtbosdorp Roete 3.jpeg (Size: 404.72 KB / Downloads: 233)

08-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Thank you very much for all your effort
Reg