Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Propshaft noises and vibrations
01-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Re: Propshaft noises and vibrations
Hi Guys. One dumb quistion.....which side must the rubber guibo be? front or rear or doesnt it make a difference?
Regards
Reg

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.......in comfort in a syncro!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Rubber disk at the rear on wbx equipped vans, the rubber at the front on diesel vans,

I haven't heard a good reason for this difference... yet Smile

alistair

'86 syncro
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://shufti.wordpress.com/">http://shufti.wordpress.com/</a><!-- m -->
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Quote:I would be very curious to know how much lateral adjustment in inches at the back of the motor, or in degrees at the transaxle flange, was involved when you were able to eliminate the droning? noise on deceleration, by centering your motor.

Not a lot of movement, just the lateral movement allowed on the engine cross member where it attaches to the body work. The holes seemed to be slightly slotted so when loosening them slightly I was able to tap the entire bracket plus engine in situ to the left or right of the vehicle by about a total of say 1cm to 1.5cm. Although a seemingly small amount, it is quite a lot of movement with regard to trying to align a system that is close on the length of the whole vehicle. (Whatever a Syncro is in length :?: )

If everything else is apparently aligned but the rear most point of the engine is out it creates an interesting triangle. See attachment.

Does it really make a difference and by how much :?: Who knows, I am just saying it seemed to help my set up.

What I found was that even though the laser shone from the front diff flange onto a drop down card centered on the tranny flange, and that appeared to be true, when extending the same laser beam beyond the card (getting the card out of the way) I could align the dot or very small tracking circle on the seam of the gearbox which is another 2 or so feet along in distance. The dot then was not centered at all by about half a centimetre or the half width of the seam. Now even though this sounds really small, it I guess it just adds to the whole compound angle effect and certainly feels important to me that it be true. I am particularly pedantic especially when something isn't working :oops: . I wish I wasn't actually but can’t seem to help it...

I know from yacht racing and tuning mast rakes that dropping a forestay off by a few millimetres on a bottle screw on the bow to add lenth, can add quite a few inches of aft rake at the top of a 20 foot mast, more than would be ordinarily perceived and the change to the boat behaviour and speed is dramatic. I realise we are talking a few feet with regard to Syncro's but I would think it really should be aligned, particularly if one is having difficulty anyway.

Attached File(s)
.docx  Doc1.docx (Size: 11.46 KB / Downloads: 44)

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
12-10-2013, 10:18 AM
RE: Propshaft noises and vibrations
I,ve done a 5 cyl 2.3 conversion. AT 70 TO 8O KM/H there,s a very slight vibration. I,ve taken the prop off. It is stil there. It was also there with the 2.1. It feels better when it is cold. I,ve changed wheels, tyres, front suspension bushes. Is it maybe the vc? Remember my prop is off. Please help
12-10-2013, 12:42 PM
sounds like the 5 cyl vibration to me, all 5 cyl syncro's have it, we do offer reconned propshafts if you want one

stuart
083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
12-10-2013, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 09:41 PM by rudi.)
(12-10-2013 12:42 PM)syncromad Wrote:  sounds like the 5 cyl vibration to me, all 5 cyl syncro's have it, we do offer reconned propshafts if you want one

stuart
083 629 9951

(12-10-2013 09:03 PM)rudi Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 12:42 PM)syncromad Wrote:  sounds like the 5 cyl vibration to me, all 5 cyl syncro's have it, we do offer reconned propshafts if you want one

stuart
083 629 9951

Thanx Stuart, I wil leave it then. Have a nice holiday.

stuart
083 629 9951

Wat is the price on a recon prop. Can somebody check my old prop first.
12-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Yip can be checked. pm sent

03-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,

I recently picked up a bad vibration on the BosBus. Removed the propshaft and the vibration is gone. On inspection of the propshaft, I found that the U-joint at the rear end (where the rubber damper is) badly worn out.

My question, where can I source the u-joints? Is there a generic available, does Goldwagen, Midas etc. stock these or what is the part number for the VW part if it is available.

I want to replace the front and back u-joints. Any good propshaft rebuilders in the JHB Northern area you can recommend?

Regards,
Frans BosBus

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar
03-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Frans, i have an exchange unit, fully balance and new joints, bushes etc, R4950 on exchange,

stuart
083 629 9951

03-11-2015, 10:32 AM
(03-09-2015 12:20 PM)syncromad Wrote:  Frans, i have an exchange unit, fully balance and new joints, bushes etc, R4950 on exchange,

stuart
083 629 9951

Thanks Stuart,

Will keep it in mind. Finances are a bit tight now so will have to settle for 2WD till life becomes better.

Frans

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar