Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Batteries
03-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Batteries
Hi Gus
I have a 95amp/hr deep cycle battery which I use occasionally. When checking it recently i noticed a lazy cell - not dead. I went onto the net for reconditioning batteries
and de-sulhating came up strong and offered a solution. I looked at some commercial de-sulpaters and a few home made (I suppose theywere all home made in reality) The idea that grabbed me most however was Epsom salts. This was on the Warrior Forum and the writer had put 6/8 teaspoons of ES into a little distilled water and ditributed it across all the cells. He and others said the result was good.
Before I try it myself has anyone in the club been there or does anyone have a view?

All the best
ghandi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Re: Batteries
Hello
This is a practise some people did imploy to try and extend/recover sulphated batteries but does not work for the long term. once a battery has started to suphate there is not much that can be done to undo the damage already encured. if the cell is "lazy" i would rather charge it slowly and put it into use. If it stand doing nothing it will deteriate quicker than if it is in use
I hope this will help some what
Regards
Reg

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.......in comfort in a syncro!!!
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Re: Batteries
Thanks Reg
I will use your suggestion
As a matter of interest would the Epsom Salts damage the battery/
ghandi