Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who tows with their Syncro?
05-27-2013, 06:42 PM

I'm planning to buy a small caravan at some stage, but I'm concerned that the Andreno won't be up to the task and let me down when I least need it. The caravan I'm looking at is a Sprite Scout or maybe the Scout Nomad. I't small and light (around 990kg) but still a lot heavier than a trailer. I think GVM is around 1400kg.

What are the feelings on the forum regarding towing?

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Re: Who tows with their Syncro?

Attached File(s)
.jpg  n_am.jpg (Size: 77.69 KB / Downloads: 805)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Is that you?

05-28-2013, 03:26 PM
No! I don't recommend that! The gearbox is the weak link and I don't think it will cope with that kind of load for long. I think the 2.3 will be ok. Should all be ok if you drive with care. 3rd gear up any sort of incline. It's going to shorten the life of the gearbox but how much depends on how you drive. Since I put the V6 in we've towed our boat to Knysna and back and it towed very nicely. Don't know how much it weighs but it's 6m with a 2.6 Yamaha V6 so it's not light.

Ian

PS. I'd definitely suggest you hire a caravan of similar size and weight and take it for a test.
05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I towed a yacht that with the trailer weighed about 900kg's, plus gear for regattas the vehicle was very loaded. Towed for many years quite happily with a 2.1 and a 2.3 motor. Just was careful not to lug 4th gear and rather gear down. Hills back from Durban were a bit slow up the passes :lol: But patience and she actually towed fine.

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
My Cox is not the fastest Syncro around but I towed my Caravet 5 no problem to and from Vaalwater and towed a broken down split bus tied to my Caravan from Pta to Jhb at average 80=100 and that is a nice towing speed
05-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks guys. I've decided to go the 1.9tdi route. It's a lot of money, but my policy is "cry once". I don't want to be crying in a year's time that I should have gone the tdi route after I break the wbx. It might not happen, but the decision is taken. I'll look at upgrading the gears next year after the budget has recovered a bit.

05-29-2013, 07:58 AM
The jurgens slipstream is also light and spacious, 1997- 1998 models are nice!
05-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Bugger Wrote:My Cox is not the fastest Syncro around but I towed my Caravet 5 no problem to and from Vaalwater and towed a broken down split bus tied to my Caravan from Pta to Jhb at average 80=100 and that is a nice towing speed
Unfortunately you also towed a broken Syncro from Vaalplasie once Sad Thanks again Pierre Wink
05-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Splitfan Wrote:
Bugger Wrote:My Cox is not the fastest Syncro around but I towed my Caravet 5 no problem to and from Vaalwater and towed a broken down split bus tied to my Caravan from Pta to Jhb at average 80=100 and that is a nice towing speed
Unfortunately you also towed a broken Syncro from Vaalplasie once Sad Thanks again Pierre Wink

I was definitely not going to let you leave your stranded bus at the spot where you wanted to cause if you would have returned half of the bus
would have been the other side of the Highway only a pleasure