Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible 3rd factory 2.5 Syncro?
03-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Possible 3rd factory 2.5 Syncro?
Well yesterday I had a good look at Gerards Syncro which was also once owned by Bennie on this forum. Originally had a 2.5 when Bennie got it and then after some engine issues he changed to a 2.6 with aftermarket management. It is a small window bus but first registered in 93. It has all the unique mods and details of the other two factory 2.5's including the very unique fuel tank and the body work changes necessary to accommodate it. This definitely wasn't a diy job. Would love to know the history of this bus. Here are a couple of photos that don't show much because the original 2.5 layout is no longer there but those in the know will recognise the tank. Aircon pipes also routed on RHS to accommodate exhaust on LHS.

Ian

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
RE: Possible 3rd factory 2.5 Syncro?
I'm still researching, but at this stage the history is a bit of a blur. Checked Natis records today and waiting for reply from my agent at VW.

Some things check and some don't. We'll wait and see, but in the mean time would like to hear the other fundi's views.
Find all posts by this user
03-16-2016, 06:57 AM
Ian, since Bennie bought this bus i have felt it may have been a factory 5 cyl bus, but that said, from what i have heard, thye tanks were custom made for VW by Selwyn, in PE, so maybe this is a aftermarket fitment with the same parts, what is the Vin No?

wherE did you get the info that is was first registered in 1993?

THANKS STUART

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
03-16-2016, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 08:43 AM by Gerard W.)
That's from the eNatis records

Year of manufacture according to the VIN (L) shows 1990. That's why I say its fuzzy.
03-16-2016, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2016 12:16 PM by syncromad.)
VIN no AAVZZZ25ZLU001955
03-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Selwyn didn't do the tanks. I spoke to him about the bus yesterday. His first question was wondering who did the tanks! That is interesting in itself because he would normally be the go to guy for that sort of thing.
03-16-2016, 01:19 PM
This bus was a factory 5 cylinder. I had Bennie send me photos when he was selling it as I was interestead in it and from all the photos I received it was probably the first factory 5 cylinder experimental bus and a small window. I know that there were more factory 5 cylinder syncros made than the reported 2. Ken from Cox had one pass his way about 10 years ago but it disappeared and he hasent been able to find it again. I have heard that there were 5 big window 5 cylinder syncro busses made not sure on small window but this is the only one I have seen. Fuel tank is fibre glass surprisingly.
03-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Thanks Russel those are my thoughts as well. I don't know if there are others, but it's unlikely that this was not a factory conversion. The other thing to bear in mind is all the 2.5 Syncros were "conversions." They were not production vehicles and were not sold from any dealership floor. They were all development vehicles used to test the feasibility of the 2.5 engine and were as such subjected to the usual rigorous testing that development vehicles go through. I know in particular that the gearboxes came in for a lot of scrutiny and various oils and additives were tried to control gearbox temps.
03-16-2016, 06:49 PM
I have the engine no of the 2.5 that was in my bus. Still waiting to hear from the factory on what engine was registered with the VIN.
03-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Hi Gerard, the VIN no AAVZZZ25ZLU001955, L designates the body was built in 1990,

as for the tanks, i was told by a VW employee that selwyn made them, maybe he was wrong.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life