Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shocks and tyre size
09-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Shocks and tyre size
Ok so now I have 6 beautifully refurbished 15" Caravelle alloys. I am thinking of putting 215/80 R 15 tyres on. I do not want to raise the suspension, just going to buy new shocks. Goldwagen has Bilsteins for the rear at around R 1100 a piece and Monroes for the front for around R 630ish a piece.

Question: Will the 215/80 R 15 fit an unlifted Syncro or will they rub at full lock (Dean pointed me towards the Continental CrossContacts)?

Are the Bilsteins and Monroes OK for gravel travel or are they not recommended? Are there alternatives? I had cheap Gabriels before on a Land Cruiser but they do not last...

Cheers Lars
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2016, 05:17 PM
RE: Shocks and tyre size
I have used Bilsteins front and back for years. They are brilliant and they service them for me when ever I need. They also re-damped the shocks to handle the larger weighted tyres when I changed to 15 inch years ago which was great. Swear by them!

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
09-13-2016, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2016 10:12 PM by Lars Kessel.)
(09-13-2016 05:17 PM)32wbx6 Wrote:  I have used Bilsteins front and back for years. They are brilliant and they service them for me when ever I need. They also re-damped the shocks to handle the larger weighted tyres when I changed to 15 inch years ago which was great. Swear by them!

Sounds good. Goldwagen only have Bilstein for the rear. Do you perhaps have part numbers for your front and rear ones?
09-14-2016, 07:21 AM
just so you know, shocks only will not make a difference to the ride height, ie will not affect the wheel rubbing, you need either longer front springs with the same load rate or stiffer springs, as for the rear you will need spacers for the springs as aftermarket springs ride terribly.

and as for tyres, from experience the conti world contact is great as well, never used a cross contact.

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2016, 08:29 AM
(09-13-2016 10:12 PM)Lars Kessel Wrote:  Sounds good. Goldwagen only have Bilstein for the rear. Do you perhaps have part numbers for your front and rear ones?

I'll see if I can see a number on them in situ. Also get hold of Bilstein directly which is what I've always done, they know their stuff so will know the front shocks.

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
09-14-2016, 11:57 AM
(09-14-2016 07:21 AM)syncromad Wrote:  just so you know, shocks only will not make a difference to the ride height, ie will not affect the wheel rubbing, you need either longer front springs with the same load rate or stiffer springs, as for the rear you will need spacers for the springs as aftermarket springs ride terribly.

and as for tyres, from experience the conti world contact is great as well, never used a cross contact.

Thanks Stuart. So the 215/80 R 15 will rub with standard springs?
09-14-2016, 05:41 PM
only on the front a little, they bearly touch, nothing major, and only on the outer lips of the fenders

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2016, 06:37 PM
Shocks and tyre size
I have 215/80R15 on my standard 1987 2wd
Rubs in front, only when turning and climbing steep sidewalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!