Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Caravelle armrest collapse..
09-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Caravelle armrest collapse..
Hi Guys

What is the secret in repairing the nice armrest(s) on the front seats of the Caravelle models when they "collapse"?The one armrest on passenger side has become looser and looser and now hangs loose against the side of the backrest.

I know there must be a technique in re-tightening it other than tearing the upholstery.Another option to the fix it myself would be to take it to a panelbeater who surely must have fixed these armrests on smashed-up Kombis...

Any help and guidance will be much appreciated!

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2016, 11:47 PM
RE: Caravelle armrest collapse..
Hi Hans it is difficult to explain but here goes. The bracket that the arm rest fastens to is held onto the
Seat by 2 countersunk filips head screws. To access these you need to remove the arm rest from this
bracket. The arm rest is held onto this bracket by a role pin. You need to squire in between the arm rest and seat to find the role pin and nock it out with a drift. Then slide the arm rest off and refit the screws with locktite. Reverse for refitting but be careful the role pin dosent tare the material.
Hope this helps.
09-18-2016, 09:03 PM
(09-16-2016 11:47 PM)Russel Wrote:  Hi Hans it is difficult to explain but here goes. The bracket that the arm rest fastens to is held onto the
Seat by 2 countersunk filips head screws. To access these you need to remove the arm rest from this
bracket. The arm rest is held onto this bracket by a role pin. You need to squire in between the arm rest and seat to find the role pin and nock it out with a drift. Then slide the arm rest off and refit the screws with locktite. Reverse for refitting but be careful the role pin dosent tare the material.
Hope this helps.
Love the tech talk.
09-26-2016, 07:29 AM
Does anyone have another description of this repair?

If I cannot work this out do I find out from dealership who they use or do I go straight to a panelbeater?

I assume it is not rocket science...Blush
09-26-2016, 08:33 AM
i will try,

the bracket that fits the seat has a round arm that goes into the arm rest, the arm rest swivels on this pin,

push the arm rests material back at the pin, you will see a "roll pin" or "celoc pin", knock that out with a flat head punch,

know screw the fitting back on the seat with lock tight,

then refit the rol pin through the arm rest and bracket. PITA to do but can be done.

stuart
083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Wow,Thx guys!

Done and dusted!