Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ADY engine ECU setup
03-06-2021, 11:15 AM
ADY engine ECU setup
Hi all, i'm on the search for some ECU info - I have an 89 syncro (imported from SA, ex Dale Westman) with an ADY engine and a completely 'unlabeled' ECU which appears to look like an MP9 from internet searches. If anyone recognises the van - it is a gold coloured syncro with a distinctive winch built into a custom steel bumper (shaped like a caravelle fiberglass bumper).

Anyway - the ECU does not have the same amount of pinouts as a vw golf ECU (missing crank sensors etc) so was wondering if there was some type of kit you have available in SA.

I have put in an AGG engine now (the ADY was faulty) and need to check all the wiring, as something is not right.

Can anybody shed any light on these ECU's? pinouts/schematics etc? it looks like a 'kit' kind of setup.

Thanks,
Eamon.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2021, 04:24 PM
RE: ADY engine ECU setup
Yes that's mp 9..
Have you changed the distributor, it needs a 4 slot unit to run..
Also needs the map sensor.
Mp9, will run a 2e, AGG or ADY with the right components.
Mp9 does not use crank position sensor.

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2021, 04:50 AM
Thanks for your help!! much appreciated - now I think I see what the issue is most likely to be. wrong distributor on the replacement AGG engine.

The ADY conversion c/w MP9 that was in there before would have been running fine at some stage - but the AGG I have put in there now has its original distributor. The factory AGG/ADY engines have a 'single trigger window' distributor (and so must use a crank sensor for crank reference) BUT the MP9 setup and 2E engines use a '4 trigger window distributor' (and needs no crank sensor). This explains very quickly why it was only getting spark in one cylinder!!

Still have the old/dead ADY so will swap the dizzys over this weekend and see how it goes...
03-10-2021, 09:21 AM
Great.. Keep us posted

03-12-2021, 12:26 PM
To update, the 4x window distributor did the trick - and I now have spark on all 4 plugs and the AGG fires up with a short squirt of some 'engine start spray' into the intake - unfortunately there is still a fuel management issue somewhere, so now that I have an MP9 pinout I will check injectors with an LED or meter. (Fuel supply and condition is OK).

(Attaching an MP9 pinout I found below, in case it is useful to anybody else).

I used the old injector/intake system off the ADY so the injector wiring/sensors/harness etc for those are the same from the old ADY setup.

For the distributor timing on these 4 port distributors, I set the distributor rotation at 6deg BTDC after positioning the OT mark (on the pulley and cam cover) at TDC. The image I based this on is below, so would this be correct for an AGG/MP9 setup? it sounded ok when it fired up for a few seconds.

Reason I have doubts is that I saw some info somewhere that had the distributor at TDC, but am pretty sure that is for a '1 port dizzy + crank sensor' application rather than an MP9 (??).

03-12-2021, 01:19 PM
Check that your fuel lines are connected correctly

03-13-2021, 10:21 AM
Thanks - Yes the fuel reaches the header (feeds into the side port of fuel rail header) and have tested fuel coming out of the exit tube (end of fuel rail header). So definitely have fuel in the injector header. Not sure of pressure yet though.

Found 12 to 13VDC feeding the +ve sides of injector pins when cranking (i.e. measuring +ve feed of pin to engine block ground) but when I put the meter on +ve/-ve pins of the injector plug itself I only got 7VDC but figure maybe it pulses too fast for the meter. Putting the meter to read MAX setting still did not give more than 7VDC though.

Will try more tomorrow (maybe ground wires for ECU are bad). The other day I drained the main & aux tank and fuel lines of some pretty old fuel (>6yrs old) before cranking (it was a nasty brown colour) and I put new fuel in tank. Surely it would be pretty unlucky to have all 4x injectors 100% clogged, but that is the kind of symptom it seems to have. Or the ECU is missing some sensor that allows the injectors to pulse.
03-14-2021, 01:50 AM
FINALLY !! I just replaced the whole fuel rail c/w injectors and regulator from the low mileage AGG and it started up no prob. Sounds good too.. Thanks again for your help, knowing about the 4 port dizzy was a big step forward.
03-16-2021, 07:44 PM
I have had two fuel rails fail on me in the past on a new citi golf mp9.
The inner part of the rail breaks loose and the fuel just returns to the tank