Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Doka rear bench
09-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Doka rear bench
Sold the seats out my doka today

Any recommendations on what rear bench i should fit ?

Pics would be appreciated

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Re: Doka rear bench
The problem with the back of a Doka is SPACE! Therefore one's options are somewhat limited. The original seat had an almost vertical back rest, which is not and never will be comfortable. I think the Tristar reached the best compromise. When I bought my Doka it had what I assume to be a late eighties Microbus middle bench. This was before the days of the fold and tilt jump seat of the nineties. As the more relaxed backrest angle of the Microbus seat pushes the squab forward, this restricts access and reduces legroom. The previous owner got around this by shortening the width of the seat by 30cm (need to check). This allowed reasonably easy access to the rear compartment through the side door and legroom was actually quite adequate.

When I changed to the 1997 Caravelle interior, I fitted the middle bench with the jump seat, thinking that when this is tilted to the vertical position, this would allow easy access. This is not quite as simple as it sounds, as the tilted seat sticks up quite a bit higher than the rest of the seat and you still have to negotoiate this obstacle with even more restricted legroom than before. The worrying thing is the expensive plastic panels that cover the jump seat break if you look at them, so passengers would have to be warned to be careful with it. The alternative is to just unbolt the jump seat altogether and leave it out, but this would reduce your rear seating by one.

Unlike the earlier eighties buses the nineties bus has more steal work beneath the seat. I assume the seat was strengthened in this area as seatbelts were added to later models. This additional bracing gets in the way of your heals. In my opinion this could be modified and moved back a couple of centimetres.

As you won't find Tristar seats here, I think the best would be to try and fashion a seat based on the Tristar design or just import the seat cushions from Germany at vast expense :evil: Alternatively just modify a nineties Microbus or Caravelle middle bench.

My only rear seat passenger currently is the dog and he doesn't complain about legroom, so it's fine.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  4.jpg (Size: 52.69 KB / Downloads: 515)
.jpg  6.jpg (Size: 64.75 KB / Downloads: 515)
.jpg  9.jpg (Size: 104.93 KB / Downloads: 515)
.jpg  10.jpg (Size: 101.62 KB / Downloads: 515)
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Actually it would be great if someone with an original rear seat could provide the width of the rear floor. ie distance between the seat support boxes.
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Doka rear bench
I've got an original box that fits in the back, I'll fit it and take some measurements tomorrow
I'm not too worried about the back rest, just leg room and accessibility

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I fitted a 3 seat middle bench in mine. I cut the back rest and made it a bit more vertical so the whole thing could move further back and give more leg room. My wife and daughter are quite happy. When I sit in the back I put my legs in the space between the front seats, but that's because of my dicky knee.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.