Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EC Trip
09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
EC Trip
A few of us have gotten into a discussion on the Yahoo group about having an EC get together. Just some ideas being thrown around at the moment but I thought I'd post it here to keep everyone in the loop. I'm not going to keep copying the posts but if someone else wants to they are welcome.

Hi Marc

Ja that's a nice drive. Done it a couple of times but been wanting to do it again. It's got a bit expensive but still worth it. We are doing a week long trip to Lesotho at the end of this month so will have to organise an outing some time after that. Will add you to the PE list!

Ian

Paleeze guys, it would be fantastic for us to have a National saamtrek in your valleys because it is central for the whole country, there are miles and miles of scenic roads that most of us have never heard of or seen that you can lead us around - and the SABrewery in PE needs our support!
Chris.

I'm all for an EC Saamtrek for next year. Lets look at some possible dates and then a route. There are just so many options. Maybe we should look at a route with a different location each night. It will be too hard to just choose one venue. For the Capies you may as well drive to PE through the Baviaans for starters. Or we could just do the whole thing there? Winterberg and Hogsback area are superb and offers a great round trip possibility.

Ian

Thanks for this and the superb phodies Ian. Thats my kinda highway with a view!

Long convoys of more than 9 vehicles makes my mouth dry and makes my clutch start slipping. But smaller convoys all on a trek with plenty places of interest to a central point for a serious fees, a jamboree, an opskop, fishing stories and silly games involving a 4x4 Combi gets my juices going.

My idea of competitiveness is to see if my compressor can beat yours in blowing up a flat wheel!

For a big saamtrek like a Syncro National, I am also not crazy about going to one spot to camp, and then riding a trail, and then going back to the same place where you started from in the morning. I dont understand why so many trails have been designed that way and unfortunately it seems to be the majority.
Personally I think the idea of coming in from different directions soaking up the attractions on the way, and then spending an intense 2 days 2 nights in one site with people who have a common interest, and then heading back on a different route to do some more soaking up would really be the first prize.

Perhaps we can entertain the idea of a 3 leaf clover, where the PE guys go out to meet 3 different groups. The three groups then each have an individual circuit. Each circuit overlaps halfway through their trip for 2 days with the other groups where there is “THE Saamtrek” and then we all split into the 3 groups again on a return leg.
This could then also make it possible to have 3 different gradings for the type of circuit you want to do 1/Challenge for guys like Gibert and Stuart who make their Syncros climb walls 2/Bit of sand and water but nothing serious 3/And then for guys like me who are happy with a sandpad through the aloe ferox.

It would take a bit of planning but its a good few months to go yet. What do you think of the suggestion?

Are there any of those extra extended long weekends next year that anyone wants to propose some dates around?

Chris.

That sounds like a plan Chris. I'm not interested in organising THE NATIONAL SAAMTREK but I think we can all throw in some ideas and turn this into a worthwhile jol.
Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Re: EC Trip
Seems like Ian is the the EC Saamtrek organizer...... cool.

Let me know if I can help.
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
No I'm not! I'll help you organise it though!

(See what I've been up to while you've been hard at work today! :twisted: )
09-07-2011, 09:58 PM
This all sounds great guys, get it together and i am sure a few gauteng syncros will be there,

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life