Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Head lights
10-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Re: Head lights
That looks nice, i wonder if we can get those in SA? If getting the part number is not too much trouble that would be great Neil.

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2011, 05:10 PM
will pop out to the van now give me 5 min

neil
10-10-2011, 05:22 PM
the part no on the holders is not t3 specific so i guess that it was used across VAG the no is 135 937 501A

here is a pic from the top of the board

[Image: relay2.jpg]

neil
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks Neil. Gotta love the modern world, you taking a pic for me in the UK while I wait is SA and sending it all in 10 minutes. Brilliant!! I will see what I can find this end re that part number. Your wiring looks so neat and clean, you have inspired me to finally get inside my dash at the same time and do a clean up Big Grin John

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
10-10-2011, 07:19 PM
32wbx6 Wrote:Thanks Neil. Gotta love the modern world, you taking a pic for me in the UK while I wait is SA and sending it all in 10 minutes. Brilliant!! I will see what I can find this end re that part number. Your wiring looks so neat and clean, you have inspired me to finally get inside my dash at the same time and do a clean up Big Grin John

thanks, i am no auto electrician quite the opposite but if you keep thing like this neat and tidy if and when a falt develops then it is easyer too trace it. i used a lot of heat shrink and conduit on all of the wires and terminals so there were no exposed live parts, so there should be no risk of any thing shorting out. touch wood, i did this a couple of years ago and have not had a problem to date.

your right about this modern word thing dose amaze me when you think about it!

neil
10-11-2011, 01:29 AM
You guys are veeery brave. I had a look in the back there once and saw all those different little boxes and plastic bits with wires running allo ver the show twisted and pressed through little holes - uh uuuuh closed that damn thing right up and never opened it again. Anything funny happens in there take it down the road to the guy who speaks funny has very thick glasses and measures everything with a meter.

I was wondering what the law is regarding these little "driving lights" is that everyone seems to have, even as standard on new cars. This made me look at the palenty space behind the grill on a Syncro. More than enough space to tuck in a set of driving lights to work with your headlights on dim. How effective would it be - has anyone done it before, and of course what are the legalities?
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
In reviews and tests I've read the Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs have consisitently beaten the Osram Nightbreakers. Not sure if we can get them here though. Also the cheaper Osram Silverstars actually produce more light than the Nightbreakers because they don't have the blue filters which are for cosmetic effect.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Driving lights connected to the main dim lights are not technically legal. Also make sure you use thick enough wire when running relays and the closer the relay is to the lights the better.
10-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Fitted my relays outside, behind the grille (one for dim, one for bright). Ran a thick cable underneath the vehicle to feed them. Makes a huge difference, easy to fit. I suppose one should add a fuse for the cable at the battery end to prevent fireworks in case of an accident........

It's not just a 4x4, it's a Syncro........
10-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Yep you should definately add a fuse. But other than that,this is a good idea. You'll probably find that there is quite a significant voltage drop in all those old wires and earth connections. Running new, thicker wiring and relays will probably give a bigger improvement than changing the bulbs. The two together should make a significant difference.

Out of interest, what is the consensus on which lights are better? The old square caravelle lights or the round lights?