2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Re: Head lights
Ian, you have a point on the wiring and contacts themselves being old and causing half the problems. I think i need to rewire from scratch, no harm in doing that as any underdash wiring gets extremely brittle with age. Enkie, is it easy for you to put up a very simple wiring diagram that shows how you did yours? From where to where type thing? I can do stuff but like to check what I'm doing with electrics. I have a manual too and will trace wiring for headlights in there too. But any help with simple diagrams including the relays would be appreciated.

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
If you use relays it's not neccesary to renew all the existing wiring as the original wiring will then only be powering the relay and this draws only a tiny amount of current. But you will have new and thicker wiring running from the relay to the lights. It may be a good idea to earth the lights directly to the battery as well. I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for you but it's quite straight forward.
10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/...elays.html

This site has some good info as well as a wiring diagram.
10-11-2011, 08:44 PM
It's interesting Dean that you say the round lights are better. I've been happy with my Caravelle lights especially on main beams. Also why would they equip the Caravelle with the square lights and the Microbus with the round if the round lights are better?
10-11-2011, 09:27 PM
I changed my 2.5 syncro to round lights from square and did find the light to improve alot still using the same globes
Maybe it has something to do with the round shape and the reflection behind the globe ?
I assume the caravelle got fitted with square headlights because overseas the caravelle equivalents got headlight washers that was easier to wash 1 big headlight unit than 2 small round ones

Would like to hear more opinions from others as well who have changed over to rounds

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
10-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I will try and see the QC or QE at work soon and ask if they can tell the light values for the 2 types of kombi lights in question, as per their ligh value tests since we used to make these lights, infact we make the round ones i jus gotta find out if the square ones where imported for vw or assembled here, will keep you guys in the loop,

Many golf drivers do say however the small high beam on the velocity and other 4 light golfs is qyt a sharp and bright light.

Happy VWing
10-12-2011, 07:07 AM
A lot of so called upgrades on a vehicle are just cosmetic and the square lights were possibly just for the look as well. But for a more accurate comparison you would need to compare new squares with new rounds anyway.
10-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi Ian,

I have downloaded info from your link you posted for lighting wiring and relays. I will have a good look at that. Cheers John

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
10-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I've been reading it again too. There is a lot of good info there.