Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Head lights
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Re: Head lights
ian Wrote:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/...elays.html

This site has some good info as well as a wiring diagram.

nice link,
the only thing that i woud do differently (and have done) and it only cost an extra £10 (i dont know what that is sa currency) is to use a separate relay for each of the main beams, (side lights,main beam and high beam is how i am describing the order of the lighting circuit, main bean is the main lighting function). by doing this way you can cut the post fused out put wires from the fuse board (there are 2, 1 for the left light and 1 for the right light) and use then as the trigger for the relay, the current of these feeds are irrelevant as they are being used as the switch feed for the relay. and them you only have to run new (i used 20amp) cable to each light unit.

by doing this if the one of the relays or any other part of the circuit fails the other light will still function normally. but if only 1 rely is used and a falt develops then you will have no lights. you also have the 2 fuses (10amp from memory) in the fuse board protecting factory wiring.

so in my set up i have 4 relays from left to right, main beam left, main beam right, high beam spots in the grill (both), high beam spots on light bar.
the reason that i used 1 rely for 2 spot light, is because if any part circuit fails i can still continue with my journey. and i do not have enough space on top of the fuse board to mount any more relays :roll:

i am not saying that this is the only and or correct way of doing this job it was but i scammed to be the most logical way to do it (in my head).

i also dd this mod on our old camper which had square lights (the syncro has round) i found the round lights out perform the square's all day long.

neil
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
That is a very good idea.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2011, 10:26 PM
ian Wrote:Out of interest, what is the consensus on which lights are better? The old square caravelle lights or the round lights?
Hi Ian,

I did a round light conversion on my '89 2.1i Caravelle Syncro not so long ago. I fitted "Osram" Bilux H4 4000 Kelvin "Cool Blue" 60/55W Halogen bulbs that I had lying around the garage to the main lights. The difference between the round light set-up and the square standard Caravelle lights are remarkable. The round spots also seem to be brighter than the old square ones. IMHO, the double round light setup also looks better and replacements are readily available.

Frans BosBus

Attached File(s)
.jpg  BosBus 005.JPG (Size: 42.35 KB / Downloads: 742)
.jpg  IMG_3333.JPG (Size: 38.65 KB / Downloads: 742)

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar
10-14-2011, 07:08 AM
syncro looks great now Frans, now just the 15" wheels, spare carrier and big mirrors and it is sorted out.

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
10-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Ok that's enough evidence for me! I was always planning on replacing the squares with round lights when the time came. Although I might go for the single headlights with a good set of aftermarket spots. Just to be different. :lol: And you may have realised by now I like the basic look. And it's purer to the original design. :twisted:
10-14-2011, 07:23 AM
like this.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  GI9X8181.jpg (Size: 49.89 KB / Downloads: 734)
10-14-2011, 07:46 AM
single head light grills are just hard to find as most SA built microbuses had twin head lights fitted as standard, from the 2.1 anyway. i do have a grill if you need though.

BTW: that syncro doka was here in SA, we did a motor rebuild for them on the 1.6td and a few other repairs to the syncro. they had travel down africa with it, no diff locks, nice guys, they stayed with us for about 3 months while we sorted out the syncro and they toured around here. it was shipped from CT to south america and then driven north.

stuart

10-14-2011, 08:55 AM
I did read up about their trip at the time. Didn't know you played such a big part! Awesome looking bus. Steel rims, hubcaps and all!

Attached File(s)
.jpg  IS3Q8360.jpg (Size: 48.52 KB / Downloads: 723)
10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
hi ian,
it is an awesome syncro, also note the roof top tent is a south african made one, Howling moon it think it was, bought in the netherlands, the tyres were also SA made conti's also bought there, but never seen the tread pattern here in SA.

stuart

10-14-2011, 08:29 PM
syncromad Wrote:syncro looks great now Frans, now just the 15" wheels, spare carrier and big mirrors and it is sorted out.

Thanks Stuart,

I fitted the Caravelle mirrors I bought secondhand from Dean, refurbished and rewired them. It is a vast improvement on the "Mickey Mouse" mirrors. More upgrades will have to wait a while as I am moving house soon and need the money for rental deposit, removals etc. Will post some more photos when I get a chance.

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar