Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nissan 2.5 Xtrail motor conversion
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Just a thought, probably silly but....Anyone done a Nissan 2.5 Xtrail motor conversion into a Syncro before? I ask as I can buy a donor X Trail vehicle with the 2.5 in it which is very similar output to Suby 2.5 except upright motor. Will have all wiring, ecu etc to bring over, but dont want to do it if never been done before?

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM
I raced a xtrail 2.5 with my 2.5 bus and ran pretty even with him, I would stick to the 5 cylinder idea I think it would work out cheaper as well

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
The electronics will make the conversion almost not possible... Or just very hard to do..

I was thinking of the same thing, i think the 2.5 D4D should be a very nice and reliable motor with good fuel economy...

The 2.5 motors are very expensive aswell... Think youll be paying
R40 000.00 easily just for the motor..

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
02-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Re: Nissan 2.5 Xtrail motor conversion
Dean I think the guy in the Xtrail didn't realise you were racing him. :lol:

The 2.5 Xtrail puts out 125Kw and 226NM compared to the VW 2.5's 100kw and 200nm. It's a better engine in a lighter body. 0 to 100 in under 10sec compared to about 15secs for 2.5 bus.

If you can get the complete motor with harness and ECU it shouldn't be a problem. I think a reasonably simple four cylinder of around 2.5l is perfect for a Syncro. I like the Subie but the running costs and parts should be less for the Nissan. The only issue is it probably hasn't been done before so it may take more time/work/money than going with a conversion that has been done before.

Ian
02-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Ian

I believe getting the electronic side to work without using the preprogrammed/coded key is also going to be an issue... The ECU only responds to that specific key...

Izan

02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
the golf 1.9TDI and the 1.8T are the same, need coded key, and they have been done, the coded key is an easy bypass, probably need the cluster as well, as well as certain speed sensors, adaptor plate and flywheel, clutch and starter will be the hard part,

also doing a new conversion there are always teething hassles and school fees, the 1.8t cost the owner close to R 70k and it is still not how he would like it, still more mods need to be done,

I agree a 2.5 would be a nicer motor in a syncro foe more power, but we nned to find one that is easy to fit, maybe you should try it John, i have a guy that can make up the adaptor etc, not cheap but really good, he does my suby stuff.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
02-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure if I want to be the first one to do it, hence my question. I still like the 2.6 as Dean suggests as its a VW conversion, so still in the market Dean! I must go 2.6 route on my existing Syncro. But as an experiment it may be worth it into another vehicle perhaps, as Ian says its got ideal torque and power.

I was intrigued as I can get the whole vehicle for 40 or 45k and its running. I know the owner personally (they want a Defender90 :shock: ) and although the vehicle itself is quite old the engine was reconned a year ago, invoice availible. Started me thinking. I also realise there may be a sump depth issue as in the Suby too. Maybe I should just buy the Xtrail to throw around and put huge wheels on and things? Not the same as a Syncro though Big Grin

02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
If i had that money, i would rather start planning something similar to Deans project... R40 000.00 could already buy you a Syncro....

Izan

02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
I hear you Izan, not that i have huge amounts of money. All this motor talk is from years of having a Syncro but eversince original motor gave out never quite got the right mix of motor, strength and reliability together again.

02-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I'll find you a nice 2.6 soon, busy looking around

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991